martedì 31 maggio 2016

Never trust the queue

So, as the days pass and our adventure continues, the thirst for new things does not appear to decrease…
But I might have found a way to quench it… I might have tried a few things that did not only displease my palate but left me feeling weak, irremediably western and in need of something strong to mask the taste left in my mouth…
Last week, after a full day in the office M and I decided to eat on the way home, so we stopped at Crystal Jade in the Westgate shopping mall… hungry, excited and curious we ordered a few dishes, a mixture of dim sum and main dishes (with the unmissable chicken rice). We ordered the Carrot Cake, which is not a cake and does not contain carrot.. and these simple facts are responsible for me wanting to try it so badly… well, the experience was not that good, the texture was kind of soft with dry bits in it, and the taste was fishy and milky… tried to mask it with delicious pork dim sum, tiger beer and fruity mentos… Crystal Jade ticked and not rushing back any time soon.

The weekend comes and our first visitor joins the Bomparradis in their new Singaporean life. We managed to do lots in a very short time frame, walked through the Quays to MBS, visit the temples and the streets of Chinatown (one of my favourite spots in Singapore, that by the way, as discovered last night, means Lion City, even though there are not lions in the area…); went to Sentosa island and Mount Faber with the cable car, finally convinced myself there are no beaches in the city (so Thailand here we come!) and did the night Safari.
Now the night Safari is a pretty amazing experience, or at least for me.
Seeing the animals at night, with the sound of the forest was a calm balm for the soul and made us forget for a while the unpleasant dinner that we experienced just before the zoo.
Again, my fault and I am afraid M won’t trust me for a little while.
We went to our local Hawker centre, where street food is served in a modest, low cost and no frills manner (literally NO FRILLS, not even a tiny tiny one, not even a tissue paper to tap your nose dripping for the spicy food)… anyway this Hawker centre in Zion road seems to host a famous Fried Kway Teow place… people queue to eat there and because we did not eat there during our first visit, last night I pretty much forced my way in the queue determined not to eat anything else.
It is important to mention that I did not know what to expect and even now I still have not googled Kway Teow.. what I know (from the picture) is that is a noodle dish…
So, Marco, Danny and I sit down with three medium spicy Kway Teow dishes and eat in silence. Not a word. We finished our meal quickly, blessing the chillies that completely masked the taste; not sure I am ready to know what those little clams-like (I wish they were clams) things were… I think I closed my eyes at some point…and swallowed without chewing..
No need to spend time describing what we did after dinner… some of us had McDonald’s chips, other ice creams and strawberry chewy candy…
So famous Zion Road Hawker Centre Kway Teow place… ticked. For ever ticked.



If you think you know Asian food from your restaurant in the western world, well I can tell you for sure that whatever noodles or rice dish you had is closer to a pizza than to the real Asian food.

I don't want to say this, as it sounds ungrateful, wrong and small minded (exactly like my taste buds) but Wagamama is good.

P.S. The queue at the Kway Teow place is due to the fact that the cook is very very slow.

3 commenti:

  1. Roby, non ti scoraggiare! Pian piano troverete posti carini e con cibo mangereccio :) un bacio SaraJ

    RispondiElimina
  2. Ciao Sara, non mi scoraggio (per ora almeno) fa tutto parte del gioco ;) ci ridiamo su e cerchiamo di non ripetere gli stessi sbagli. Tutt'al più mangiamo cibo europeo per un paio di giorni, così per riprenderci d'animo ;) un abbraccio

    RispondiElimina
  3. In queue for Kway Teow.... we get to front...
    Marco > what options are there?
    Manager > hm?
    Marco > options....what can we choose?
    Manager > hmmm?
    Marco > (waving hands over pictures) what is there we can have?
    Manager > ah..... Small, Medium, Large
    Marco > (unfazed) oh excellent. 3 medium please.....

    RispondiElimina