lunedì 28 novembre 2016

Fish is the new pig

A few days ago we have tried one of the signature dishes of Singapore, fish head curry.


The cheek flesh, supposed to be the best part, is indeed very tender and delicate in taste. If I did not see it coming from the fish head, I would have thought it was just fish…
The eye ball are supposed to be a delicatessen too. They are given to the kids, as it’s good for developing good eye sight.
Marco and I are not very clever, we consider ourselves funny, but maybe we are just stupid. We tried the eye balls.
Marco went first, I was horrified and disgusted, I called him a monster for eating eyes! The only edible eyes to me were/are the Haribo ones for Halloween.
But then I couldn’t let him win, I had to do it too.
So, I did it.
The day after I didn't feel quite right. It wasn't the eye ball obviously, it was tiny and without any taste. It was knowing what I have done.
Instead of feeling brave after matching my husband in a performance recorded by many people, I felt disturbed. I felt violated by my own actions. Went quiet. Couldn’t stop thinking about it and while I was brushing my teeth, my stomach was turned inside out by some strong gags.
Managed to keep it in. But even after a few days, I am still thinking about it. The spoon full of rice and spicy vegetables I had straight after the eye didn’t help much. The beer did not console my mind. Only the chocolate and Amaro at home made me feel safe.
It was horrible.

Good thing is that nothing of a fish gets wasted here; Singaporeans eat not only the body and the head, but even the bladder. Fish is the new pig.
And we have crossed a line. Despite of what I said on FB, I am not sure I am ready to push myself any further. I just don’t have the stamina for it. 





Nessun commento:

Posta un commento